Sunday, March 17, 2013

The road that led us to starting a fundraiser. ..

Many of our close family and friends might be wondering why we decided that the only way to get help for our daughter's medical expenses was to start a fundraiser. What could be happening in our lives that made us become so humble as to put our story out there for everyone to read and ask the world for help. On this post, I will answer those questions. We thought about it long and hard... If politicians go all around the country asking for money to fund their campaigns. Don't forget that simple quesion when you file your taxes, would you like to donate $3 to the political campaign? Yes, maybe millions of Americans say yes to donating $3 to raise funds so that someone can make their way to being President. Granted that someone is a college graduate with years of work behind them and a fat bank account that they have built up from their years as Senators. Here we are over a year into physical therapy and yet we haven't had the kind of progress we would have expected. Sophie is still not rolling over, or sitting, or crawling, so the standing and walking seem to be further and further. I still wonder if it will really happen. It really sucks that she can't do those things because she really wants to walk and be mobile. She often gets frustrated and starts crying when she tries really hard to stand or reachfor toys, and it sucks, it really sucks to see my daughter struggle all day and every day. CP also affects her sleep and eating and pooping, Going #2 is a daily battle for her. Being the kind of person that I am I began to investigate how and what tobdo to help my daughter. I came across a blog called unexpected fortune. This is where I read about Anat Baniel and her almost miraculous work with kids that have special needs. I immediately purchased her book Kids Beyond Limits and started reading it. I was convinced by the middle of the book that this method could give my daughter the help she needs to walk. God had put us on the track to success. Now of course nothing comes easy. Their center is in California. It will cost almost $10k to make a 2 week trip between expenses and therapy. I talked to my friends and my sister. They were happy that there was help for my Sophie. There is someone out there who can help help become an independent adult someday. Now the trick is that the earlier she can receive therapy, the better chance that she will walk. You see, by age 3, the human brain is already 80% of its adult size. During the first two years of life it is also wired to learn many complicated tasks like walking. So this is when I realized that the clock is ticking for Sophie to be able to learn these things with ease. So my sister was telling me about a mom that was doing a fundraiser online to buy a van with a lift in order to transport her son who has cerebral palsy and is on a wheelchair. She said to me: Do you want to ask for help now and help your daughter walk or do you want to do this later when you have to buy the van with the chair lift that costs over $50k. That was my turning point. I want my daughter to overcome her challenges. I know that there are no gurantees, but I have to know that we are doing everything we can to help her. Even if it means asking others for help. Wouldn't you do the same for your child? ">

2 comments:

  1. Lauren-
    You are a rock for your family & an extremely loving advocate for your daughter. I was so happy to talk to you the other night. It helps so much to have somebody that understands everything that CP means, but then again doesn't have to mean. I know you just understood that completely. Ha. Your desire & determination to help your daughter advance in her potential is surreal...it's a beautiful thing. My heart smiles knowing that you can stand for what you believe in and ask others to stand with you. God has gone before you & I believe without a shadow of a doubt that you will get the help that you need for Sophie. A breakthrough is coming. Amen & hallelujah!
    Standing with you- your sis in Christ,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shan,
      Thank you for your kind words. We have to speak more often. I really enjoyed talking to you too. I am really exhausted and I never feel like I am doing enough. My house is a mess, really need 8 arms like the octopus, lol. Anyway, I miss you writing on your blog. I can't wait to see your next post.

      Love,
      Lauren

      Delete