Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Anat Baniel Method

Kids beyond limits... I bought this book on Amazon.com and I cannot put it down. Of course, with two kids to take care of, I am only halfway thru reading it after two days. It looks very promising. I even mentioned ut to our OT therapist today and said that she had never heard about it before. On this book, and based in my understanding of what I have read so far, Anat Baniel talks about therapies that teach the brain itself rather than the muscles to perform their normal functions. For example, during therapies (PT) Sophie is put on the walker or gait trainer even though she still has not mastered to roll over or sit. ABM is nothing like conventional therapies.The book teaches about 9 essentials that we must follow to help any child, nit just children with special needs, reach beyond their potential. So far I have read about Essential 1 and 2. MOVEMENT AND SLOW. It all makes sense and I have already begun applying the essentials to our lives. I really trust that after I finish reading this book, our lives will benefit from what I learn and I will be better train to help Sophie reach her full potential. I will post more details as I read thru this book and discover how it can help me and other parents of children with special needs. I do feel like the clock is ticking for Sophie. She will be 2 soon and I have not seen much improvement of her motor skills in her legs. She has made marked improvement in the use of both her hands. I must read fast :)

9 comments:

  1. Lauren-

    This intrigues me. I'll have to find this book. You are such a devoted mother. Sophie is blessed to have you. Thanks for sharing.

    Shan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a must read for all parents of special needs. When I get a chance I will type a note on what I found the most helpful. Its a great buy!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. My Mom picked up the book for me tonight. I am excited to start reading it. I'm so grateful for the recommendation. It helps to hear the new ideas & have somebody who understands to "talk" to about these things. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  3. That's great, Shannon. I am excited for us ;) I will share anything and everything that I come across and feel that our kids can benefit from. I am on page 127. I honestly feel that this is my training guide to help Sophie go beyond anything we could have ever imagined. I suggest reading it in order. The firsttwo chapters are exciting because it builds anticipation. Let me know your thoughts as your read. I do have to warn you that what is taught in the book deviates completely from the therapies we do now. What works the best for me is taking the best of everything. This way, I know that I am giving Sophie the best opportunity to learn.

    Talk to you soon, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo, I am stoked about it- for sure. I haven't started reading it yet, but can't wait to share my thoughts with you. By now, I'm used to a barrage of opinions regarding her care plan. I've had drs. argue in front of me about what should be done. I told them that wasn't cool....go down the hall & discuss your differences & them come share your thoughts with me. Then I could let them know what I think about their suggestions. I get tired of all the drs. treating her like she is several different people. I have to go home & meld together (into one plan) everything that they suggest. It can get pretty frustrating. I'm rambling. Sorry. On a side note, I can't find you on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is so hard to hear all different opinions from the doctors. Trust yoyr gut, you probably know this already, we mommys know whag is best for our kiddos.
      Try searching for my email: laurenrodriguezsmith@hotmail.com

      Delete
  5. Im halfway through reading the book too... and I had a mad panic that the PT would actually do more harm!! Based upon the fact of getting the brain to do the work rather than the muscles.
    I also have a Feldenkrais session booked for Erin which is supposed to be amazing for CP.
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      Kids Beyond Limits is an AMAZING book. By the time I finished it, I was convinced that I needed to take Sophie to see Anat, and boy was it worth it. The only problem now is that I cannot afford to continue ABM lessons because they are out of town and so expensive. I am torn because I am against so many practices of typical pt and I feel constantly like pt is doing everything wrong but aside from Hippotherapy (therapy with horses) is our only option right now. Feldenkrais is similar but not the same. I would love to hear how it will benefit Erin. Please keep in touch.

      Love, Lauren

      Delete