Friday, March 22, 2013

The day I ran a marathon...

At around 5:30 pm, I realized that I was dripping in sweat and as tired as if I had just run a marathon. This was supposed to be my easy day. Since we try not to schedule therapy on Friday, I usually leave Fridays for one of the many doc appointments that we have every month for Sophie. Today, however there were none. It was a pretty slow day up until I got home from getting my son from pre-k. Every night around this same time is rush hour here in our household. There is me, and there are two kids who need to be bathed and fed before 7:30 pm so that they can have their bedtime story and then fall asleep so that my mommy time can begin :) Today however I was feeling like I was running a marathon during rush hour. I decided to give the kids bath together so that Sophie got a little water play time. As soon as I decided to pull her off her bathchair she cried hard. I was already celebrating the fact that she had not thrown up today. I celebrated too soon because as soon as I put her down on the bed to dress her she began to gag, once again. I have become somewhat of a professional in managing my daughter's vomit episodes, she has been throwing up almost every day now for the past two weeks due to her reflux and overactive gag reflex. So as soon as she shows the slightest gag, I detect it and run to the sink as fast as I can in order to limit the amount of vomit I will need to clean up later. We are running low on pillows, by the way. I took two pillows off duty because they were vomited on. Sorry to be so graphic but this is exactly what happens around here. Actually it almost always happens around 4am so I was lucky today. So after cleaning up and dressing both kids I sat down to feed them, one at a time. I realized then that I was sweating so much, and I felt as if I had just run a 5K marathon. As I see their sweet faces now that they are both asleep I see that running the marathon today or any day is all worth it. They are totally worth it. One day I will look back at all this vomit and just think, ahhhh.... it was all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment