Thursday, March 28, 2013

Got proof?

Maybe is the busy days and nights or my possible state of denial or acceptance or just call me crazy but I cannot remember what is supposed to be "normal" and what is not when it comes to development (eventhough I have a 5 year old child) So these past few weeks I was giving some thought into how we are barely, almost, meeting milestones. Especially when I read and see other kids that have CP slighly more severe than Sophie, whether it is lack of verbal skills or less head control; I think that we are oh so close to what is so called "normal" development. I guess my "normal" just became exactly what I see every day in my daughter. To me she is as normal as they come. That was until today that I "got proof". My mom came to visit from out of town and brought my 17 month old nephew and two older nieces with her. They are all staying over for a few days. My little man is super duper cute! a loving little boy. He uses his hands very gracefully, I notice the very precise use of his tiny fingers. He raises both his arms when getting dressed and when he wants to be picked up. When being fed he opens his mouth chews and swallows his food. He has a straight back all the time and sits in the tub, he walks so perfectly! Quite honestly, I look at my little man and as I admire his every move and I think wow, he is BRILLIANT! My little man is over 20lbs at 17 months old, he sits in front of my five year old son while he (my son) reads him a story. His back is straight the whole time. He never wabbled to either side or fell backwards or frontwards while sitting, not once. He picks up a ball from the floor and throws it to me. He wants to play catch. He says: "ball". We went to the playground and he climbed three steps if stairs them got on the slide and said "whee" as he slid down. He then took off running... My little girl laughed and tried to throw herself off my arms a few times as if letting me know that she wanted to run after him. So I said "let's go have some fun there is other stuff we can do". We went back to the slide and I put her on the top of the slide. She laid down all smiles and I held her by under her arms as slid her down and said "wheeee"... When she reached the bottom I saw her laying down helpless waiting for me to pick her up. We did it again and again and again until my arms got so tired that I decided we should pick another activity. After all there is lots to do at the playground right? Some kids were running around, some kids were climbing the rock wall, others were swinging from the monkey bars... We just decided that we just want to sit on a bench and watch. Except that my little girl did not want to do that. Well, my feelings if normalcy began tumbling down and I thought in my head "this playground really sucks!" Well I guess this is proof that yes my daughter does have cerebral palsy and there is no playground around that was made thinking about kids that have physical impairments. Ok... I accept it she is a little different from the other 18 month old kids at the playground. I got the proof. Now I will just think of some things we can do that might be more enjoyable for her.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren-
    I understand what you are saying here. Hummingbird started school in January for Early Childhood Special Education. She plays on a playground where she is unable to do anything w/o help from one of the paras or her teacher. None of the equipment is adaptive. They do have a few pieces of adaptive equipment in the gym. However, she is too petite for the adapted trike that they have. It is easy to live w/in our own bubble & really feel like things are normal. Maybe it is that we crave normal. I hate that word normal. Every once in a while I am reminded, just like you, of Hummy's delays. At times we can pretend that things are better than they are & get by with that...I think that is a way to cope, too. Please know that I am thinking of you & praying for you & your family. Let me know how you are doing.
    Hugs,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think that a special ed pre-school would have adaptive equipment for the little ones, right? We feel so very normal, it's just that the world looks different from our point of view. If I were planning to build a playground, the normal thing to do would be to make sure that ALL kids can play there, not just kids that can walk, run, climb, etc... I guess the world is just not there yet. I often hear about new inclusion programs in public schools, but I still don't understand why our special needs kids have been "aliens" all this time. I know that specialized programs offer different types of help depending on each child's needs but i believe that all along there should have been a common ground where all kids can just be with eachother and accept eachother. I believe that if kids with special needs were not alienated, we would have new generations of adults that accept and embrace differences.

      Delete