Monday, May 1, 2017

IEP - transition

Today is the day of the IEP transition to Kindergarten and I wrote this letter to be used as a document providing some insight information for the new teacher and school aide about my awesome child.
Attachment to IEP-Letter to Paraprofessional/Aide

Hello!
My name is Sophie...
A little background information about my condition:
I weighted just two pounds when I was born. I was premature and spent three months in intensive care at the hospital before I was allowed by doctors to go home. I went home on a heart monitor which I wore 24 hours/7days a week for several months. The machine alerted my parents if my heart stopped beating so that my life could be saved. Fortunately, my heart problems resolved in the later months before I turned one year old and then I was diagnosed with cerebral palsy, CP for short.

CP is a neurological condition that affects my body and daily living in several ways. In my case, CP causes muscle spasticity which results in some impairment of certain motor skills such as the ability to walk.

Spasticity: A condition in which certain muscles are continuously contracted. This contraction causes stiffness, tightness, and sometimes even involuntary movement of my legs and hands.

Due to CP:
1- I CANNOT walk, kneel, stand, or sit independently without support.
2- My muscles are much weaker than those of other kids my age.
3- At times I may drop items on the floor unintentionally simply because my hands get tired.
4- I do not enjoy most foods so my mom packs my lunch everyday which always includes a nutritional shake (known as BOOST). I drink it with a straw because it is much easier for me. Covered drinks are best for me and can help to avoid unnecessary stress and cleaning due to spills. I do not like to be forced to eat.
5- I also need help opening and closing bags, containers, etc...

Due to my limited mobility I need help reaching for items on the floor or otherwise out of my arm's reach. Items can include, bottles of water, lunch, pencils, crayons, paper, books, etc...

I am 100% dependent on someone for my mobility. What does this mean?
I need someone to help me:
1- Get into and out of my wheelchair.
2- Carry me to the toilet.
3- Get into and out of chairs and playground or other equipment.
4- Clean up items out of reach such as on tables or floors.

When I feel happy or scared my muscles may become spastic. My legs may stretch out involuntarily and I will need help getting my feet properly placed back on the footrest.
Sometimes I slide to the front of my seat due to spasticity so I need help or to be reminded to slide to the back of my seat to feel comfortable and maintain proper posture.
It may be tempting to adjust my chair or other assistive devices to make improvement, however not adjustments or additions can be made to my wheelchair or devices without written authorization from Mom, Dad, Therapist, and/or Doctor. Everyone of my devices and each piece within them is custom made for me by medical professionals and cannot be altered without consulting one of the people above mentioned.

Sometimes I become scared and need positive encouragement. I thrive on positive encouragement because I am a happy girl.

My Moto:  "EVERY DAY, IN EVERY WAY, I AM GETTING BETTER AND BETTER".

My parents' and doctors' goal for me include increasing my self esteem and independence in order to become a successful and independent adult in the future. Please do not exclude me from activities that other kids my age are enjoying. Instead, look for ways to adapt those activities to my abilities and increase my success. Do not tell me that I CANNOT do something because of my disability. Instead, look for alternatives that could satisfy my need for adventure and to have fun.

I am very smart and CAN/SHOULD follow school rules. These rules may include staying quiet when necessary, taking tests, writing, reading, playing, and sharing toys with others.

I am as NORMAL as any other child and I have never been told otherwise by parents or anyone else. I am NOT sick and do not like being called disabled. I enjoy being read, coloring, and talking up a storm about all that is going on in my amazing imagination. In my mind, my possibilities are endless. In my mind I CAN and WILL become anything and everything I desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment