Thursday, April 13, 2017

How I am curing psoriasis...

If you or a loved one suffers from psoriasis you probably heard that it has no cure. I struggled with psoriasis for about 15 years, since my early twenties. My skin seemed to get worse when I was at my heaviest. Just three months ago my weight and my skin were out of control. On thing was to feel fat, but another was to feel ugly and fat. My arms and hands were covered in oozing blisters. One of my knees had a huge patch and there was another on my foot. To make matters worse, there were patches beginning to appear on my face. I was desperate. I had used steroidal creams in the past and they would remove the small red patches but this time things were worse. I am also still breastfeeding my two year old daughter, so steroidal creams were out of the question.

Armed with hope, I went to the dermatologist, hoping to be prescribed something that would remove psoriasis from my skin even just slightly. I was itchy all over and in pain. By now, my knee and elbows were beginning to hurt as well, which probably meant that I was developing psoriatic arthritis.

I was devastated when my dermatologist told me that I had to stop breastfeeding in order to receive any treatment at all. I made a plan to stop breastfeeding and return in five weeks.

I was not ready to stop breastfeeding and neither was my little one. I felt horrid when I had to refuse giving her milk. I felt sad, depressed, and hopeless. The dermatologist had also suggested biologics. After researching online, I found out that biologics suppress the immune system, essentially shutting down psoriasis but also shutting down the immune system completely. This meant that if I chose the biologics treatment, I would become a welcome house for any and all viruses available in the environment. I have three kids, no help from family, and I one of my kids needs my help at all times for mobility.  I cannot afford to get sick. I knew that there had to be another solution to clear my skin. I looked at pictures from before and saw my beautiful skin. That became my focus in order to help myself improve my health.

I researched online forums, and libraries when I came across Dr. John Pagano's book, Healing Psoriasis. I read other people's success stories and became inspired to follow Dr. Pagano's diet exactly. That was no easy task. My weight was out of control and so were my eating habits. I was having ice cream and sweets like there was no tomorrow. I was completely addicted to sugar and sodas. Since pretty much every diet I had ever done in my life had been a failure, I did not even bother to buy the book. I researched what was on the book online and began my journey to "try" this new diet plan. Little did I know then that I had underestimated my self esteem and that what pushed me over the edge would bring my healthy body back. What was happening to me, was actually a blessing in disguise.

I began the diet the next day, and then we went to South Beach and I had a burger and a shake. There went another failure. I looked at my skin, I saw my fat self in the mirror and I was not having it anymore. I began the diet again the next morning. For the next three months since then, I have eaten the same thing for breakfast with some variations in toppings, one cup of cooked oatmeal topped with one teaspoon of honey or agave nectar. My journey to healing was about to begin.

I completely removed all white and brown bread from my diet. Food such as pasta, white rice, pastries, ice cream, and desserts were completely out of my food choices. The diet was very restrictive, even more than Atkins, or Keto. Following the plan was not easy but I was determined to feel great and have beautiful skin again so I stuck with every single recommendation regarding food choices. I did not drink the recommended teas, because of breastfeeding.

Three weeks had gone by and no results. Every day was a challenge. I cooked yummy foods for my family. I could not even have a little taste. My skin was actually getting worse. I went back online for answers and found out that it was normal for skin to flare to its worst before beginning to clear up. I was still very itchy and in pain but one day I decided to get on the scale and boy did that encourage me to keep on going. I had lost 20lbs! My clothes began to feel loose and I was feeling great in the inside. My knee an elbow pain had completely disappeared. My skin will clear up soon, I knew it would. Worse case scenario, I would lose a lot of weight and feel healthy inside. People began to comment on my appearance and how great I looked, despite of the psoriasis in my skin.

After two full months of following the healing psoriasis diet plan by Dr. John Pagano, I still had not read the actual book. One day, I saw my hands had begun to clear up. Two days later, finger by finger and all over my hands I saw completely clear skin. My skin was still pink from the scars but it was free of psoriasis. The patches on my knee and foot were now white, no longer red and looked like they were about to disappear any minute now. My elbows and arms were no longer red. Psoriasis was almost a thing of the past and I was already planning on eating my first sweet meal too test it out.

While on vacation, we went to a Brazilian, all you can eat restaurant and I finally had a delicious meal after two months of starting the diet. I was surprised that my skin was still looking great the next day. I began getting back to my old ways and making milkshakes at home. Although I was more aware of my eating habits now, I still craved sugar. My knees began to hurt again. A few days later, my skin began to itch again and I could see a glimpse of patched red skin coming back. It was time to stop and heal myself again.

This time, I have purchased the book for motivation. My skin still looks really great, compared to how it all started three months ago. This time, I am determined to change my diet for good. I am planning on cheating on my birthdays and maybe some holidays. All and all, I have lost 25lbs. Surprisingly I did not put on any weight at all. For food choices or recipes, comment below. If you suffer with psoriasis and obesity, give this diet a try and you may be surprised and amazed at the results. I will make another post with the list of foods allowed and some recipes.

Thanks for reading...


No comments:

Post a Comment