Saturday, June 8, 2013

To accept or to not to accept? That is the question.

The moment that Sophie received a diagnosis cerebral palsy with spastic ataxic diplegia, I didn't fully understand what the future would hold. I was told that Sophie would never be "normal" and that she would probably walk around the age of 7, but not the way "normal" people walk.I didn't fully understand how, why, what was going to happen in her future. I chose to accept the diagnosis and go on... As I began to realize the missing pieces (milestones) I began to understand why she was different.  I was open about her diagnosis with family and friends from the beggining because we needed the support. I began to receive lots of suggestions and advice as it is natural for our loved ones to try to help. I got lots of suggestions about how we can bring healing to Sophie through spiritual means, I chose to believe that if God had any intention of healing her, he would do so himself.  I looked a little deeper and thought if this is happening its because there is something to learn from it and it will not go away so easily. I chose to accept.  While I accepted I also didn't give up on possibilities. So did I really accept? Here I am hours upon hours,  miles upon miles, all across the country, away from home, looking forward to what tomorrow's visit to an alternative option to therapy will bring.  Hoping to see a miracle. Hoping that it will make a dramatic change on my child who is 20 months old but has the physical abilities of a 3 month old baby. So did I really accept her as she is? Yes I did, I am accepting that she is a child who deserves to reach her full potential, no matter what that is and I will fight for her, and with her, for as long as she needs me or wants me to. I will accept and embrace her for what she can do and not what she cannot. I will continue to give her the opportunity to get better at whatever she does and never give up, because that I would do for my typically developing child... and I will do the same for her. So my goal is not to make her "normal" my goal is that she reaches her full potential,  whatever that may be.  My goal is that she loves life and enjoys every minute of it, no matter what her abilities or disabilities may be. In the end, isn't that what all parents want for their children?

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I totally agree! My boy was diagnosed with CP (spastic diplegia) at a very young age and I very quickly accepted that he was going to be delayed (he didn't crawl until 13 months, didn't walk until 18 months) but is now RUNNING around the house at 28 months!
    It's always best to focus on the positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon,
      It is so great to read that your little boy is doing so well! I struggle with acceptance all the time because I want to make sure that my daughter knows that I love her just the way she is but at the same time I seem to continue looking for answers or a cure.

      All the best to you,

      Lauren

      Delete